Monday, July 16, 2012

Emily Climbs Excerpt

To my dear literary friend Penn with whom I have doubtful hope that she still reads this,
whenever I read my favorite books, I instinctively think of you and know that you appreciate the beauty of certain words, laugh at the jokes of daily life, and groan and pull your hair out at the author when he or she twists romance in exactly the way we don't want it to happen, but in the exact way we knew it would occur.

To you, I hope that this makes you laugh. because i literally LOL'd.

"My 'candle goeth not out by night' now--at least not until quite late. Aunt Ruth lets me sit up because the terminal examinations are on. Perry infuriated Mr. Travers by writing at the end of his algebra paper, Matthew 7:5. When Mr. Travers turned it up he read: 'Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.' Mr. Travers is credited with knowing much less about mathematics than he pretends to. So he was furious and threw Perry's paper out 'as a punishment for impertinence.' The truth is poor Perry made a mistake. He meant to write Matthew 5:7. 'Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy.' He went and explained to Mr. Travers but Mr. Travers wouldn't listen. Then Ilse bearded the lion in his den--that is, went to Principal Hardy, told him the tale and induced him to intercede with Mr. Travers. As a result Perry got his marks, but was warned not to juggle with Scripture texts again."




No comments:

Post a Comment